By Kaylee Lindenmuth
SHENANDOAH - A home on Shenandoah's south side was damaged by fire Tuesday afternoon, reportedly sparked during work to renovate the historic home.
Shenandoah fire crews were dispatched to the home at 35 South White Street around 4:00pm, and arrived to find smoke and flames coming from the roof of the home.
A second alarm was dispatched, and firefighters from Ringtown Valley, Shenandoah Heights, Frackville, and Mahanoy City were brought to the scene.
According to homeowner Bernie Sanders, the fire started and contained in the third floor of the home. Painting and sanding work was ongoing Tuesday afternoon, and the fire reportedly began while a break was taken, according to Sanders.
Sanders and his wife were uninjured and evacuated the freestanding structure safely, though cats were unaccounted for, which he was hopeful took shelter in the basement.
Sanders' collection of historical documents and items pertaining to Shenandoah's history weren't stored on an upper level, and were presumed to be safe.
Shenandoah Fire marked the incident under control at 5:19pm, when second alarm units were released.
East Centre Street from Main to Lehigh was closed to traffic during the incident.
With an active heat advisory during the incident, Shenandoah Ambulance provided first responders with water, and afterwards, Chill Out Ice Cream Parlor invited responders to have a free treat
NEWS FROM YOUR TOWN
-East Union Township
-North Union Township
-West Mahanoy Township
-Beyond Northern Schuylkill