By Kaylee Lindenmuth | email@example.com
SHENANDOAH - The Shenandoah Fire Department has deemed the United Wiping Cloth building unsafe to enter, and is asking the community to avoid the property and refrain from calling the fire department unless high flames or "anything that would endanger residents or another structure" is seen.
Shenandoah Fire Marshal Rick Examitas released the statement to borough residents Sunday night on his Facebook page.
The statement reads: "The Shenandoah Fire Department has been back on the scene of 125 E Lloyd Street numerous times since Friday's fire. The building continues to smolder resulting in smoke in the area and at times some glow of fire. The roof collapse has trapped flammable materials that continue to burn resulting in the smoldering.
At this point we have no choice but to let it burn itself out. The building is not safe for us to enter. The large amounts of water put on the fire is now heavy ice which compromises the structure as well."
"For the safety of the firefighters and the community at large we ask that you avoid this property and UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should anyone enter the property.
Please refrain from calling the fire department unless you see high flames or anything that would endanger residents or another structure. We will continue to have personnel monitoring the situation."
Moments after the statement was received by the Sentinel, the Shenandoah Fire Department was dispatched to the scene for a third time for a reported rekindle, with the Defender and Columbia Fire Companies responding.
NEWS FROM YOUR TOWN
-East Union Township
-North Union Township
-West Mahanoy Township
-Beyond Northern Schuylkill