By Kaylee Lindenmuth
SHENANDOAH - Working smoke detectors alerted two Shenandoah residents to a fire, and, combined with a prompt response, led to the fire being contained to the attic, according to Shenandoah fire marshal Rick Examitas.
Fire crews were dispatched around 4:00pm to 629 West Penn Street in Shenandoah for reports of smoke in a structure. At the time of dispatch, smoke could be seen as far as North Gilbert Street coming from a vent and the eaves of the home's roof.
Firefighters from all Shenandoah fire companies, as well as Mahanoy City's West End responded and found fire in the attic of the freestanding home, occupied by the Selbi family.
As fire crews doused the flames, they also tossed a burned mattress and box spring from the attic window into the side yard below.
Damage was contained to the attic, according to fire marshal Rick Examitas.
Examitas noted that working smoke detectors alerted two residents, Steven Selbi and Bill Kubeika, who were home at the time of the fire.
"(They) alerted them to call for the fire department," said Examitas. "Smoke was seen up there and there was fire in the room."
Examitas added there were no injuries reported, and the fire was accidental and believed to be electrical.
The home, owned by Christine and Joseph Selbi, is insured and Examitas noted the damage should be covered.
The family, Christine, Joseph, Steven, Kathy, Jennifer, and Melissa Selbi, was permitted to re-enter the home Saturday evening though they will stay elsewhere for the night.
All except Steven and Bill weren't home at the time of the fire, and the two were able to get out along with their pet dog and cat.
Firefighters remained on scene investigating until 5:20pm.
Assisting Shenandoah Fire at the scene was Shenandoah Police, Shenandoah Fire Police, and Shenandoah Ambulance.
Full Photo Gallery
NEWS FROM YOUR TOWN
-East Union Township
-North Union Township
-West Mahanoy Township
-Beyond Northern Schuylkill